Who does what: Board member vs. association management
Get the handout
Here are some specific differences in responsibilities:
- Develops and approves policies, bylaws, rules, and regulations for the community.
- Makes major decisions regarding the community, such as setting the budget and making changes to the community’s infrastructure.
- Plans and executes community events and activities.
- Oversees the management team and ensures it is fulfilling its responsibilities.
(with board direction and approval)
- Manages the day-to-day operations of the community (e.g., landscaping, cleaning common areas, and providing security).
- Implements the policies, bylaws, rules, and regulations set by the board.
- Prepares and presents financial reports to the board and manages the community’s finances.
- Oversees vendors and contractors to ensure they are fulfilling their responsibilities.
Note that the specific responsibilities of the board of directors and management team may vary depending on the size and complexity of the community, as well as the structure and priorities of the association.
To learn more about this topic, we encourage you to contact your community manager.